Orlando Bloom is reportedly dating his 'Lord of the Rings' costar Liv Tyler. The 36-year-old actor and the 36-year-old actress were spotted getting cozy when they tuned out to support 'Lord of the Rings' costar Sir Ian McKellen in his New York production of Waiting for Godot. A witness told Star magazine that when they got behind closed doors, they were playfully tickling, gazing into each ...
5. Art Week continues with installations, exhibitions and parties. For a look at what’s on tap for Thursday in and around Art Basel, here is ...
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Gainesville police officers and fire rescue crews came to the aid of a homeless man who was attacked by yellow jackets.The Gainesville Sun (http://bit.ly/IQx1KZ ) reports 51-year-old Joseph "Crazy Joe" Piser was sleeping outside a vacant building Tuesday morning when yellow jackets began swarming around him.Piser, who gets around in an electric wheelchair, was able ...
The first dogs Bo and new pooch Sunny delight White House visitors but Sunny got a little too excited at a holiday event Wednesday. First lady Michelle Obama was holding Sunny's leash when the frisky canine jumped up to greet Ashtyn Gardner, 2, from Mobile, Ala. The girl stepped back, tripped, and took a tumble in the process. Mrs. Obama quickly made sure the child was okay. The little ...
A pedestrian died early Thursday after a traffic incident in the 2700 block of East Fowler Avenue in Tampa. Police have released few details, but say the incident happened just after 1 a.m. Westbound traffic on East Fowler was blocked until about 4 ...
XXX is the kind of movie where, when a character needs to destroy a communications tower in order to disrupt a surveillance system, he doesn't simply blow it up or something so middle-of-the-road and typical as that. Instead, he parachutes in on a snow board and lands on a mountain top hundreds of feet above it, sets off bombs to create a massive avalanche, and then snowboards down the mou ... ...
Florida StatesmanFlorida Statesman | Round-up of news from across Florida
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Florida news. From Jacksonville to Orlando, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Florida Statesman. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Florida weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
Helicopters made constant sweeps over the Washington Navy Yard.The family of Mary DeLorenzo Knight, who was killed in a mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard in September, has filed a lawsuit in federal court in Tampa.The suit alleges negligence on the part of the government and defense contractors for not recognizing the mental health status of the shooter, Aaron Alexis, and the danger he ...
Although Florida led the nation in job creation in October, not all new jobs in the state are good jobs.A new report by Seattle-based Alliance for a Just Society found that 64 percent of all job openings in Florida do not pay a living wage, the Tampa Tribune said. The study defined a living wage as $16.84 per hour. Furthermore, the group found that for every job posted offering a living wage, ...
The Tampa Bay Rays mascot, Raymond, needs your support.The giant, hairy, barely-categorizable sea creature is one of four mascots up for the award of "Most Awesome Mascot" in the Cartoon Network's Hall of Game Awards. The awards are set to air in February 2014 to celebrate the year in sporting achievement. They are to be hosted by actors Seth Green and Nick Cannon, according to ...
Downtown St. PetersburgLeadership St. Pete, one of the oldest leadership programs in America, announced its Class of 2014.The program, a division of the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a six-month training experience designed to recruit and develop leaders for the city, the group said in a statement."For the 45th consecutive year, this year's class is filled with ...
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- One winner of the "Fantasy 5" game will collect $237,282.06, the Florida Lottery said Thursday.The winning ticket was bought in Wilton Manors, lottery officials said.The 403 tickets matching four numbers won $94.50 each. Another 11,540 tickets matching three numbers won $9 each, and 107,827 tickets won a Quick Pick ticket for picking two numbers. The numbers ...
WILBUR-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. -- Dead bottlenose dolphins are continuing to wash up along beaches along Florida's east coast.Since Sunday, officials say the Georgia Aquarium's Conservation Field Station has picked up three dead dolphins along Flagler County beaches.Capt. Tammy Marris of Volusia Beach Safety and Ocean Rescue says a 3-foot dolphin was found in Wilbur-by-the-Sea on Monday. The ...
LAND O' LAKES, Fla. -- Authorities say a woman was caught injecting cocaine in a public restroom at the Pasco County Jail.Pasco County Sheriff's officials say 33-year-old Stacy Renee Slabach was at the jail Tuesday to retrieve prescription drugs that had been left in her car when it was impounded after she was caught driving with a revoked license last month. The prescription drugs and ...
Rendering of an automated people-mover, one of the elements of the master plan.The second place firm and other trailing companies competing for a $497.5 million design-build project at Tampa International Airport have a high hurdle to challenge technical evaluation rankings for the job.The Hillsborough County Aviation Authority board is scheduled to select a winning firm Thursday morning. The ...
High Springs Police Patrol Officer James Field in the MRAP (mine-resistant ambush protected) armored defense vehicle at the High Springs Police ...
2. The largest poinsettia show in the country with more than 5,000 plants in more than 140 varieties for sale at the 18th annual Poinsettia Show and Sale hosted by the UF Environmental Horticulture Department and the Student Club, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. today and 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday, greenhouse complex behind Fifield Hall on Hull Road. Watch for signs for the poinsettia and greenhouse parking. ...
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
Record Your Vote
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Florida Statesman.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Turtle Bay Resort
This 4 star resort is located on the top of Oahu on the North Shore, and is one of Hawaii's ...Keep reading
Orlando Bloom is reportedly dating his 'Lord of the Rings' costar Liv Tyler.
The 36-year-old actor and the 36-year-old actress were spotted getting cozy when they tuned out to support 'Lord of the Rings' costar Sir Ian McKellen in his New York production of Waiting for Godot.
A witness told Star magazine that when they got behind closed doors, they were playfully tickling, gazing into each other's eyes and holding hands, Radar Online reported.
Star claimed that the pair have been friends for years, before sparking a relationship. (ANI)
Top Florida Statesman news from Yesterday
- Alan Gross left behind in Cuba
- George F. Will Why Iran should be contained
- The ACLU sues to silence religions
- Strikes for minimum-wage hikes don’t help poor
- The ‘Pope Francis effect’
- Holocaust survivors reunited after nearly 70 years
- Man nabbed in drug sting said he was going to rob undercover officer police say
- My mission for 2014 Bathroom break for all
- Bill Nelson watch no plans to run for governor
- One of aviations biggest mysteries endures after 68 years
- Dual screen YotaPhone hits Russian market
- Russias Polymetal scraps special dividend
- Russia Top 10 insurers account for nearly 60 of premiums
- Russian force trains to counter militants from Syria Chechen leader
- Documentary About Merchant of Death Bout to Premiere at Sundance
- Woman unknowingly live-tweets husbands fatal car wreck
- Video German finance minister meets with Ukraine protesters
- Video Cameron says Britain open to Chinese investments
- Boat safety course this weekend in Lake Park
- Puffin Populations Puffs Up in Farnes Says Census
- Biden encourages Chinese to challenge their government
- Judge allows Obama's uncle to stay in US
- Americans fail to repeat tongue twister pad kid poured curd pulled cold
- NY businesswoman wants to change city into Chinese Disneyland
- New York has its first matrimonial pet-custody case
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Florida Statesman headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Is Orlando Bloom dating Liv Tyler
- Miami’s Top 5 What you should know Thursday
- Gainesville cops come to aid of homeless man
- VIDEO Obama dog Sunny knocks down girl
- Pedestrian dies on East Fowler Avenue in Tampa