Protesters marching in the tens of thousands rallied in Italy on Sunday to rail against the policies of the new coalition government. Around 100,000 protesters, led by trade unionists, converged on Rome to wave red flags and placards, urging changes to austerity measures. The union-led crowd called for the new government of centre-left Prime Minister, Enrico Letta, to focus on job ...
Americans are at their most optimistic since 2007 according to a Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan index of consumer sentiment. The preliminary index has shown optimism increased to 83.7 in May as stocks surged and real estate climbed. With record stock prices boosting household wealth and unemployment down in some areas, consumers were able to see their way through the effects of ...
Britain's Financial Times was hacked last week by a mysterious group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army. The newspaper's technology blog was hacked to display a slogan saying: "Hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army." Several Twitter feeds run by the Financial Times were also plastered with similar slogans. The FT later said its blogs and social media accounts had been compromised ...
The Saudi Arabia state news agency has reported a coordinated attack on the country's government websites. Several government websites in Saudi Arabia came under heavy cyber attacks last week, shutting them down for a short time. The attacks have been traced to IP addresses from a number of countries. Saudi investigators found the attacks had been launched from hundreds of Internet ...
Target Corp has opened a new office base in San Francisco in order to discover technology ideas. With the second-largest US retailer trying to grow its online commerce business, a Technology Innovation Center has been set up to develop mobile commerce, which has become a particular focus of retailers because new technology allows people to use their mobile devices to shop. With a huge ...
Summer of Sam [DVD]
"Summer of Sam" finally lost me about two-thirds of the way through. As everyone probably knows, the "Sam" of the title refers to "Son of Sam" David Berkowitz, the serial killer who terrorized New York for more than a year in the late 1970s, stalking people and shooting them with a .44-caliber handgun because, as he claimed at the time, his neighbor's dog told him to. ...
Passengers in SUVs are now known to be more likely to survive a serious crash. A new study conducted by the University of Buffalo in the US has found the driver of the SUV is as much as 10 times more likely to survive in a head-on collision where a passenger car is involved. While automakers have taken steps to improve safety in normal passenger cars, such as changing bumper designs on ...
Italy's coalition government has promised to abolish some salaries and perks which are handed out to government ministers. A controversial property tax will also be abolished, or frozen, by the new government of Enrico Letta, who has also promised to do away with the double salary received by some parliamentarians. Before the election, it had been mooted by Letta's coalition partners that ...
Paintings by Jackson Pollock, Roy Lichtenstein and Jean-Michel Basquiat smashed all previous auction records at Christie's in New York during the week. In fact, several works by popular artists brought extraordinary prices. The items made $495 million for their owners at the valuable sale of postwar and contemporary art at Christie's. However, a single Andy Warhol Painting of Marilyn ...
3G operators in Thailand have all agreed to cut their tariffs. The Thai National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has been pressuring providers to lower all their 2G and 3G tariffs by 15%. The three 3G mobile operators, Advanced Info Service, Total Access Communication and True Move have said they will launch new 3G tariff packages to reflect the request by government. It ...
Spain has reported a trade surplus, the first since 1971. With imports slumping due to austerity measures, the first monthly trade surplus for more than 40 years is being seen as a positive development. However, the country is still suffering from an economic downturn with unemployment in Spain now running at 26.7%. The surplus of 634.9 million euros in March reflects a 15% plunge in ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Coogee, Sydney
This 4.5 star hotel is one of our favourites. Overlooking Coogee Beach and just a 15 minute drive from the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Florida StatesmanFlorida Statesman | Round-up of news from across Florida
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Florida news. From Jacksonville to Orlando, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Florida Statesman. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Florida weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn were spotted soaking up the sun on the golfer's yacht in Florida on Tuesday.
Woods, 37, was photographed shirtless as he fished off the back of the boat named Solitude in a baseball cap, shorts and sneakers, People Magazine reported.
Woods' daughter Sam from his marriage to his ex-wife Elin Nordegren was also hanging out on the boat, People magazine reported.
Meanwhile, clad in a colorful strapless bikini, Vonn, 28, snapped photos from the dock. (ANI)
- U.S. must stay committed to racing towards space
- Laws for medical and recreational marijuana
- Legislature considers tougher DUI laws
- Approaching bipartisan solutions for nation’s housing woes
- Guest When Jason Collins and my father coming out will no longer matter
- Star Trek Into Darkness is No. 1 at box office but falls short of predictions
- Sheriff’s Office ID’s Woman Killed At Ft. Lauderdale’s Airport
- Marlins Hope For A Win Against Diamondbacks
- Fight over dogs leaves Loxahatchee man critically wounded say police
- Miami Dolphins sign former Gator tailback Mike Gillislee
- No commercials TV channel starts broadcast in Russia
- Isinbayeva to continue as Youth Olympics ambassador
- Isinbayeva wins comeback meet in Shanghai
- Russian dies in Vietnam after fight with compatriot
- Four prisoners flee Russian jail
- One person taken to hospital after early morning shooting in West Palm Beach
- Dump trucks no longer rolling to Lake Worth’s Bryant Park for Snook Islands work
- New DC rule requires unidentified dog mixes be called Xoloitzcuintli
- Woman arrested after putting child up for adoption on Craigslist
- Jesus endorsed mayoral candidate comes in last place
- Sarah Michelle Gellar shares best parenting advice
- NY bar to host smallest penis contest
- Suspected U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills 4 Al Qaeda militants
- I want to shoot Hillary Clinton right in the vagina says radio host
- Rooney Mara to endorse Calvin Klein perfume
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Florida Statesman headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Teacher-training programs’ success under scrutiny
- Teen arrested after cops say she bit mans penis
- Powerball Winner May 18 Bought Ticket In Florida Supermarket
- Same-Sex High School Relationship Leads To Expulsion Arrest Of Florida Teen
- Small Fla. city wonders who won $590.5 million Powerball jackpot